Monday, March 30, 2009

Let Me Live Here, You Will

I had an interesting couple of weeks. I was sitting in my living room, minding my own business and reading a book, when my nieghbor called my name. "Megan, come out here and look at this." I didn't know what he wanted, but figured I'd go take a look. I go out behind my house, and there at my back door is a 4 to 6 week old puppy, skeletal from lack of food and covered in 20 or more ticks. "Spencer produced!" was my nieghbor's comment, because this little thing did look somewhat like my current dog. I felt so bad for the skinny little thing and so gave it a can of tuna to perk it up a bit. It then walked into my house, ate Spencer's leftover bones, and laid down in his bed. When Spencer returned from wherever he was, the little thing decided he was going to protect me from the evil giant and began barking and growling at him. This little puppy is the size of Spencer's head, but doesn't lack any gumption, based on his bravado throughout the situation.

I left for Kampala the next day, and decided that if the dog stuck around I would at least feed it and take care of its ticks until I could find it a home, because it seemed that he had adopted me as his human. Besides, his ears stick out and he looks a lot like Yoda, so I had already named him, which we all know is a bad sign. Well, I got back from the weekend in Kampala and he was still there. My neighbor tells me Spencer took to protecting the little bugger from the other big dogs in the area, who have a propensity to kill unattended puppies. So by the time I got back, these two were best friends and Yoda was following Spencer around like his own little Mini-Me. And after over a week of good food and a comfy place to sleep, the little guy is perking up and has even started to lift and wag its tail.

So now I'm pretty sure the neighborhood dogs are talking to each other and telling each other that my place is a good spot for a free meal. I'm guessing that soon I'll be running a dog kennel. I guess I always knew it was only a matter of time before I became a crazy dog lady, I just didn't know it would happen so soon. Luckily I have a taker for this current puppy, and soon I'll just be back to my one dog, which is more than enough.

1 comment:

CURT BENDER said...

Hi Meg,
I think you need a cat to go along with Spence, in fact I can deliver it later this year or first of next. I have rumor of you having a hang-over and wondering if you know what caused this? As always,
Love,
Pops