Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Illness, Infestation, and Infection

Oh friends, it's been one of those weeks.

One of the weeks you would associate with Peace Corps life when you think about it. On Monday I noticed a flea bite on my foot was looking pretty scary. It became pretty badly infected by Tuesday, and now I'm on antibiotics to try and heal the sucker. But if that was all, I'd probably count myself lucky.

Later in the day on Monday, I started feeling very tired. I figured Spencer just woke me up too many times during the night to pee, so I didn't think anything of it. Then around about the time I'm going to bathe, I feel achy and very cold. I have a lovely little fever. First one I've had since I was about 7, so of course I think I'm dying. Oh well, I laid in bed for about 20 hours, and the fever and aches went away, along with the nausea and diarrhea that came with it. But if it was only the infection on my foot and 24-hour bug I had, I still might think the week went ok, especially since I seem to be surviving both.

But of course that's not all. As I lay in bed, sick and unaware of the danger, the bedbugs or fleas or whatever the devilish little creatures are that love me so much returned to my life. They chewed me to bits, especially since I was in bed for so long. I have a lovely patch of about 30 bites just below my right butt cheek, and they itch like crazy, which is how I'm going to end up if these little demons don't disappear soon. But seeing as my water is out right now, washing my sheets and clothes isn't an option, so it could be awhile before anything improves. Oh life. and Hydrocortisone cream.

2 comments:

cindy bender said...

MEGAN SOUNDS LIKE QUITE A WEEK HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING CLEARS UP FOR YOU. WOW! ONE BITE AND IM COMPLAINING DONT KNOW HOW YOU DO IT HAPPY THANKSGIVING
CINDY

CURT BENDER said...

Hi Megan, I hope it is nothing serious, your grandpa had a slight heart-attack Saturday AM but is doing well. Let us know how things are going and miss you!
Pops