Friday, June 27, 2008

What a Day

Must be because it's Friday the 13th or something. I woke up to yet more bits from some indestructable yet miniscule (and invisible to the naked eye) creature that has invaded my sleeping space, despite airing my mattress, blanket and pillow, spraying all 3 with insecticide, and washing my sheets and pillow case with hot water and an obscene amount of Omo (strong detergent).
Not such a happy start to a lovely work free and sunshiny Friday. So I made a list of songs on my ipod to match my mood, and set about doing my laundry. Then I swept my house, scrubbed my cooktop and toilet, and mopped the place down, including under my food storage box, which wasn't a pretty site (who knew mold could smell like that?).
Then I headed down to the school for lunch and to grade some assignments I gave to my physics students yesterday. After completing that, I didn't quite feel up to making notes to lecture from about Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, so I sat outside the staff room in the sunshine, and enjoyed the weather.
That must have cheered me up a bit, because I decided to return to domestic pursuits. I spent an entire hour... sewing. That's right, you read correctly, sewing. I decided to make a drawstring pouch for scrabble tiles. I don't even own scrabble. And the little bag actually works. It won't last long, the sewing isn't the greatest considering I don't even know how to do any real stitches, but it looks good. I think Uganda is turning me into a housewife. If you could see me now...
But of course the day came full circle. My ipod died and wouldn't recharge, my phone has become irrational about which text messages it will send and receive, and I get to look forward to another night of scratching. But I did successfully handsew a drawstring bag...

No comments: