Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Chicken on a Cold/Rainy Tin Roof

I have no idea where these chickens came from, but suddenly there are several running aroun. I have high hopes they'll be somebody's lunch soon, or at least that damn rooster.
I thought that crows made a lot of noise when they landed on my tin roof, but they've got nothing on chickens. I first heard the racket while I was bathing (splashing ice cold water on those parts that require daily washing). I quickly dressed to see if my roof was falling into my house. It wasn't, but some chickens had decided that my roof was the place to roost. Whatever, I'm sure I'll get used to their clumsy clawing.
Clawing, clacking, general noise, sure. But not that morning wake-up call. At 4am, I thought for sure the rooster had gotten into my house and was crowing next too my bed. Again, like clockwork, more alarms from the bastard at 4:30. And 5. And 5:30. At 6 i finally became so desperate that I grabbed my mop and started banging it on the ceiling like a crazy person. In pjs, half asleep with my hair flying wildly, and muttering a string of curses under my breath, I'm sure I looked completely deranged. I wish I had a picture of it. But thankfully, the rooster was quiet. Until 6:30.
I have a battle plan for tonight. I'm going to check the roof before I go to bed. If he's up there, I'm throwing rocks. If that doesn't work, I'm going to kill, pluck, and clean him myself, and eat him for lunch tomorrow. I'll get you yet, worthy foe.

No comments: