Saturday, March 29, 2008

From Dairy State to Dairy District

Hey all,

This is going to be quick because I've only got 3 minutes left here at the internet cafe, but I'll get in as much as I can. I'm in Mbarara on my way back to Kampala from Kabale, the district I now call home, or will after swearing-in in April.

My school is very rural, with cows and goats wandering aimlessly throughout the compound. I was sitting in the teacher's lounge, just after break tea at 11 in the morning, when a cow wonders into the doorway. I'm talking to another teacher.
me: (listening distractedly, then) there's a cow trying to come into the lounge
teacher: yes. He smells the bananas
me: oh.

These things are apparently very normal. I love it. I am a lover of animals, and I now live on my very own free-range farm. I also have a flush western toilet in my house,which I have christened Fred the Fantastic Flusher. He is the new love of my life.

Everything is going wonderfully, and only 2 weeks of training remain. Very soon, I'll be a Peace Corps Volunteer.

That's all,

bye

4 comments:

lefobserver said...

PLEASE
CAN YOU ENTER IN MY BLOG IN ORDER TO TAKE THE FLAG OF YOUR COUNTRY AND IT IS WRITTEN IN MY MAP OF VISITORS?
THANK YOU
lefobserver.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hey Megan! So just a few more days until you're sworn in! I'm so excited for you :) It sounds like you're having a truly wonderful time. I think you and Fred will be very happy together.
I was a little upset you didn't name the cow. Please do so. Animals have rights too, ya know.
Things down South are good. Trucking along with the English job, until my quit date in two weeks. Eek!
I'm trying now to imagine riding a bike in a skirt in Buenos Aires, you'd probably be hit by one of the LOCO argentinian drivers, be thrown from the bike and as you're laying there sprawled on the street showing your "goods," they'd whistle at you, call you gringa and try at least two or three cheesy lines to pick you up. Not good.
Sorry for the novel babe. Once last thing: please put up your new address when you know it. Miss you!

Unknown said...

Megan!
Sound like you are having a blast in Africa! So I found out about 2 weeks ago that I am going to Australia this summer for two months to be a field assistant with a PhD grad. student. Basil hooked me up with the sweet opportunity. I will also be living in a tent like you did and most importantly I will be digging my own hole to poop in in the Outback everyday! I am so excited for it. Hope it is warm there and can't wait to spend 2 months in the southern hemisphere with you!

Love,

Ryan

casey said...

HeHe...I just read the comment from "nicole" and I couldn't figure out who it was...I am a moron!
Peace out dogg.
Have a shot of the good ol' waragi for me;-)