Friday, April 23, 2010

Rescues and Farewells

Well everybody, it's about that time again. I'm almost finished. I've got a butt load of crap to do to make sure I can bring Spencer back with me, which is definitely turning into more work than I had planned in the first place, but I'll get er done. I talked to the district veterinary officer today, who seems to think I need a fancy trip to Kampala and a crap ton of shots, even though I've tried telling him the US is not the UK and has far fewer restrictions, but we'll see what can be done. I'll probably end up spending my whole return stipend on getting my freakin dog back home, but I suppose it'll be worth it since the total amount I've spent on him up to this point is about $3.00.

Other than that, I had a banner week. On Tuesday I saved a chameleon from certain death. It was walking along, all nonchalant, in front of the school's office, which any place that puts a chameleon in front of Ugandan eyes is not safe because they consider them armed and dangerous. I picked it up, saving it from a thorough stomping, and everyone about popped a nut screaming at me to put the poisonous evil creature back on the ground where they could take care of it. I held it in my hand, where it remained motionless, and calmly told everyone that it was perfectly safe, not poisonous, and even if it did bite me I would come to no harm. They laughed and let the weirdo mazungu go on with her business. I put it in some very camouflaging foliage up near my house and hoped for the best. I believe it is still safe and sound, because I haven't yet seen a flattened chameleon body anywhere near the area.

Last night my friend Sharon brought over two chickens, headless and featherless but still with their insides and feet, and we proceeded to clean and cut them up so that I could do something fun with them. I decided to give fried chicken a whirl, which I've never done before in my life, and was pleasantly surprised with the results. It was delicious! Who knew that flour, salt, paprika, curry powder, rosemary, and a bit of cooking oil could make something that wonderful? Everyone was impressed with my cooking skills once again, and we made a little going away party of it, with me providing not only the deliciously fried chicken and mashed potatoes, but also the beverages. We even did a little singing and dancing since my ipod battery was dead, and everyone was pleased with the turnout and the amount of food. We finished everything off, and I even bought the right amount of drinks. All in all, it was a really fun little going away party. I'll miss my friends, neighbors, and teachers and sincerely hope we can stay in touch, although I know it's going to be difficult. We'll see what I can do.

cheers

No comments: