Monday, March 8, 2010

Just Dance

Well hello again my lovelies. I hope all is well with you, and I suppose it's time for yet another blog. I've been teaching for a couple of weeks now, and getting to know my students. Bright-eyed and straight from primary school, they have a terrible time deciphering what I'm talking about with my crazy American accent, but they're coming around. By the end of the term they'll have it down, and then I'll be going back to America and they'll have to get used to a Ugandan math teacher again! Oh well, I think it'll be good for them. We're beginning midterms this week and we'll see how much of what I've been saying has sunk in when I grade the papers. Could be interesting.

Other than that, my group had our final farewell COS (close of service) party a few weekends ago, and what a time it was. We rented out a place in Old Kampala and had Ethiopian food, which was of course delicious. Some of our number put together a slide show of pictures of the group from our arrival in Philly up to the present. Two years! I can hardly believe it. No tears yet, although I've still got a few months to go, so we'll see when the time comes. And after the slide show the real fun began, and we danced the night away. The Dance Triumverate, (me, Thomas, and Zach, shoutout to you I know you're reading this) showed everybody up with our stellar dance moves. I'm of course the leader of our trio, but that goes without saying considering how good I am at shaking it. Mackenzie, Holly and I even performed our dance to Lady Gaga's Just Dance for a very delighted audience, to rave reviews. All in all, I think the night was very successful, despite being very sad to say goodbye to many people.

On a happier note, two training volunteers are going to come visit me for some instruction, I'm very wise you know, and will stay with me for two weeks learning the ways of the Jedi (and by that I mean secondary education, Megan style). While I feel my tutelage will be a very important part of these new volunteers training, who knows how they'll feel. I guess we'll wait and see, mwahahahahahahahaha

cheers

4 comments:

casey said...

I just bought the Lada GaGa album yesterday, it must be some weird roommate connection! Can't wait to see you buddy:-) I'm on my last week of my last rotation of med school in the States! Uganda here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zach Mayo said...

First of all, using the phrase "my lovelies" is definitely the creepiest way to start a blog post. Secondly, and more importantly, your claim to leadership of the Dance Triumvirate is shocking. I'm speechless. I assumed what we had going was a power sharing arrangement. You and me, I mean; Thomas is obviously a second-class citizen.

Megan B said...

hmm, ok, I guess you are correct. Thomas definitely coasts along on our coattails.

Unknown said...

Hey, Meg! Love that Lady GaGa album...:)Congrats on getting accepted to Marquette! You know I'd vote for that over Berkeley, and definitely UW Madison over all, just cause I'd love for you to be back "home" so I could finally visit you, but I wish you the best in making your decision. (And seriously, what college isn't going to accept a woman working for peace and education in Uganda??)Any ways, sounds like you're doing great. Life in Madison is good - I'm busy as usual with teaching, trying to educate myself on how to finally start a garden this year (there is actually GRASS appearing around here now that temps have reached into the 40's- yay!). So, yeah, nothing too exciting. Take care of yourself!