Saturday, July 26, 2008

One Term Down

Well, I've finished teaching my first term here in Uganda, and what a term it was. It was a bumpy ride to say the least. My students have trouble understanding my outrageous American accent, and then the material is also difficult, physics and math are tough subjects. They are trying anyway, and I think they enjoy having a mzungu teacher. They have more to laugh about during class than those who don't have me, and really its just because I'm so strange. But I enjoyed it, and am glad to have a new term to think about and new lessons to plan. Now that I have some decent textbooks, thanks Dianne, and the church for sending them, teaching has become a little easier. Logical flow of material and lack of errors and typos is really quite a relief. I think the students will really benefit from this.

Not much new to say here, I'm finally feeling like I somewhat belong, and am making friends among the teachers. I have fed them stir-fry, and they absolutely love it. I also made them macaroni and cheese, which didn't go over so well, and chicken salad sandwiches, which they loved. Well, not so much the sandwich part, but the chicken salad anyway. I'll have to come up with some more dishes I think they'll like. Anything that isn't matooke can be daunting, but they're learning that American food isn't so bad. I even made fried green tomatoes, which were ok, but not the best. My neighbor enjoyed them. I"ll have to try it again, with greener tomatoes and a different batter. I'm becoming quite the experimenter in the kitchen. I"ll let you know if anything turns out well.

So this is a pretty boring post, but I guess learning about my everyday life might be stimulating to others. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

2 comments:

casey said...

e-mail me...or call me...or send me a owl.
gracias.
c-diz

casey said...

I mean "an" owl...those articles are tricky!